Thursday, September 20, 2012

Make Sure You Show

While in Bamfield, we wrote two paragraphs using the idea 'Show Don't Tell'. This basically means do not tell your readers what's going on, use the five senses to show them. While I enjoy writing, this was still a challenge that I enjoyed.

'I gripped the drenched coils of twisted straw-like material as it hung limp in my white knuckled hold. Salty air filled my lungs when I sharply inhaled as the rope snapped taut. The serene and glasslike water began to froth and churn as the flat-bottomed skiff bulldozed through the deep green liquid, The rope slid harshly through my now frozen digits, and would have been lost to the dark depths had I not driven my heels into the floorboards. With a renewed strength I gambled on my balance and propelled myself backwards, lifting my trembling arms into the air as the net crashed onto the skiff. My face cracked into a wide smile: I had caught plankton.'


1 comment: