Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Show Again

Here's another Show Don't Tell assignment about my experience at Bamfield. This one is about when we got to see an amazing display of bioluminescence. Enjoy!

'Excitement sparked through my veins like electricity, energizing me as Mr. Hoyt-Hallet led us down the winding path. The trail was dirt, and tall trees and shrubs loomed over us, moonlight dappling through the trees. My rasping breath was loud in my throat as we navigated down the metal ramp. The night sky was a black abyss, white stars sparkling across it like paint splatters on a canvas. My lungs expanded as I drank in the cool and tangy sea air. After what seemed like forever, we finally placed our feet on the wooden dock that rocked gently on the midnight blue glass like surface.


            Before long we were instructed to move in our bulky, neon orange life vests down the unsteady gang walk, and to lie face down on the damp wooden surface. An odd instruction, I thought, I wonder how this is relevant. But I placed foot after foot in a careful stride to the end of the dock, my stomach a nervous ball of excitement. I folded my legs until I was lying on the dock, and my clothing slowly grew damp with left over seawater.

            My gaze moved from my similar-positioned peers and to the dark depths, and my eyelids widened at the sparkling flashes of light that danced in the water. They moved rapidly, too fast for the human eye to follow. The light mirrored the stars in intensity as they flared and gleamed in the darkness.'

No comments:

Post a Comment